Articles by Stan Paul
How to Care for your Pearls
Pearls are soft and delicate gems. They need to be handled carefully.
Here are some tips on how to care for your pearls:
- Store pearls in a soft bag, a velvet box or a satin pouch, avoid touching
other jewelry objects. If you plan to wear pearls on your clothing,
wear clothing with soft materials. Avoid wearing pearls on rough materials
such as wool.
- Pearls contain calcium carbonate, they can be attacked by acids.
Protect pearls from chemicals such as vinegar, alcohol, ammonia, and
hair spray, bleach, perfume, swimming pool water and cosmetics. You
should put on your pearls after you have applied makeup, hair spray
and perfume, or gone to the hair salon.
- Avoid wearing pearls when you sweat a lot, since sweat contains acid. Take
pearls off when exercising, swimming or taking a shower.
- Avoid wearing pearls when you cook, since pearls can absorb smoke
and steam from cooking.
- Pearls also contain small amounts of water and protein, so keep them
from high heat or dry places. Avoid harsh sun exposure.
- Pearls contain organic substance, they need fresh air and moisture.
It is recommended that you wear pearls at least once every month.
- Wipe pearls regularly with a soft cloth moistened with water. If
you scratch a pearl skin, gently rub olive oil on the
- If you wear pearls frequently, it is advisable to restring the pearls
every one to two years before the silk thread weakens.
- Regular care will greatly extent the life of your pearls.
This article was published in the North Shore Women's Journal